Momtasic

Monday, March 13, 2006

Rainbow Fish


I know this is horrid but I HATE that Rainbow Fish book. Maybe HATE is too strong a word but I am using it! I know the book is about being happy because of sharing. For those without children; there is a fish with shiny scales, and he is the prettiest fish, and another fish asks to have a scale and rainbow fish refuses. So little fish tells all the other fish and they no longer want to play with Rainbow fish, so then Rainbow fish gives up a scale to the little fish and then every fish wants a scale and he is left with one scale and is happy because now all the other fish want to play with him. I know sharing is good. Maybe it means that I am a shallow person but what I see in this story is not a lesson I want V to internalize. To me it screams, people will want to be your friend not for you but for the things you can give them. If the story line just had little fish asking for a scale and rainbow fish happily giving it I would like it more, but right now it just seems wrong to me. Maybe someone has a better way to look at this story but for now I am hiding it between the couch cushions and refusing to read it to V no matter how pretty the pictures are.
Love,
Me

P.S
Should V have a pet or is it way to early?

P.P.S
my spell checker refuses to work so sorry for any errors.

2 Comments:

  • Darya,
    Don't get any pets. They distroy your furniture, leave hairs all over the place, and vet bills are not cheap. Plus I think V is too young. Wait til he can understand the meaning. Look at poor Zoe and all that she has to go through with Luke. Trust me it's one big nightmare after another. And when you come over next time i will let you see what she has done to our place. then I will take you to my neighbors to show you what her dog and cat did to her place. Maybe a fish? But even then they can get expensive and you need to clean out the tank-which is gross. Can you tell we are getting no more pets?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/21/2006 1:07 PM  

  • Hi, I know you wrote this a while ago, but I've just found it. Throw away the book, The Rainbow Fish! If it was a book about sharing it would be fine, but it is not.

    It is a book about conformity...everyone must be the same, no one can be different or have a special talent. It is a book about bowing to peer pressure. It is the jealous "friends" that are the key. Any friendship that has to be bought or bribed is not a friend. No one should have to hide or feel ashamed because they are gifted or talented, and others are not.

    Children should be taught to explore their own giftedness, not take it from others and demean them to make yourself feel better.

    I hate this book, I am a teacher and I, for the life of me, cannot understand its popularity. Your intincts are right on...throw it away.

    Diane

    By Blogger Diane Cass, at 9/10/2008 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home